Thursday, July 10, 2014

Hipster music and feels.

It's weird not being in the same place as someone else in a relationship. Any relationship. And any difference in space: time, morally, spiritually, etc.
There's a time when differences become too overwhelming. 
When you're too opposite...it's not charming or exciting anymore, it's aggravating and detached. 

I am constantly teetering on the edge of the pit that is filled with, not snakes but, my quarter life crisis. It's just down there...growing; it feasts on my student loans, full class load, and lack of a job...so it has plenty to eat...and then I sit and think about all the relationships, here and all over the place, that need attention. I think about how I don't have any money, how I can't see my family whenever I want, how there is no nature around me, (insert something whiny here, I'm sure I've thought it.) I am toxic when I get into my own head. 

You want to know a really good way to make sure you're really never in the same place with ANYONE...EVER? Spend all of your time thinking about the ways you're different. Congratulations, you've concocted the perfect poison to kill off any relationship. 

I haven't been home  in about 7 months. That's the longest I've gone without cuddling my dog, or having coffee bean, or seeing the ocean...ever. I feel like God could sense my growing despair and blessed me with visits from my superhero parents, an accidental layover for a dear friend, and another quick day trip from my Scotty have been enough to hold me over. That was all it took to make me realize that

The relationships that are meant to survive always will
The difference in time can lead to not talking as much. The difference in opinions might lead to fights (Christina vs. Britney). The difference in beliefs might make you have to change the way you see something.The differences might mean feeling a bit disconnected for a while, but if we're loving, reveling, cherishing, learning from, admiring, studying, and listening to these differences...we won't fall apart. 

Sometimes it takes being outside with some iced coffee, eating breakfast at 2pm, HAIM, and some friends to realize it.
Sometimes you have to take a random road trip to visit an old teacher/dear friend and drink tequila from the bottle while watching Rikki reruns. 
Sometimes you have to be standing with your boo-thang at a Dave Matthews concert, look out and see the Chicago skyline and realize how absolutely infinite you feel. 
The moments that bring you back are all around you; you have to look for them, but once you find them...my word, are they powerful. 


SIDENOTE: 

I just wanna take a minute to discuss something I don't understand about relationships: SHARING.
Why? I spent my entire life wanting my own room, wanting my own space, wanting to have my own bathroom. MY GAWD, MY OWN BATHROOM. (My poor father had to share a bathroom with me and my sister while my mother got her own.) Now, does my mother deserve her own bathroom? OF COURSE. Why? Because she's a little gnome queen. Should my father and I have to be at my sister's mercy for hot water or any kind of mirror time? I thought not. Then, you meet someone, all of a sudden you're splitting meals. You leave "lounge wear" at their place. You (more likely than not) end up deciding to move in together or marry and then you're sharing a tiny little apartment in WeHo or Lakeview and you share cabinet space, bathroom space, couch space, BEDROOM SPACE, every space. WHY THE WHY. It's like you decide that you want them to use everything and it's ok. no use the last of the shampoo, drink the last soda, use my toothbrush. NO. I don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment